This position involves the assistance provided to the coordinator of the Liturgy of the Word for children. These assistants are from either grade 7 or 8 or high school. This Liturgy of the Word is for children from ages 4 to 11 during the 9:30 a.m. Sunday Eucharist. This celebration of the Word for children gives the children who participate the opportunity of hearing the Sunday scriptures in a language that is more suitable to their age level. It also provides them with the opportunity to reflect on the Word in ways that are both engaging and useful for their learning. The program begins the first Sunday after Labour Day and ends on Pentecost Sunday. No program is held on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday.
- Execute the lesson plan as directed by the Adult Coordinator.
- Aid the Adult Coordinator in maintaining order among the children
- Assist other adults in babysitting pre-schoolers and kindergarten children
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- A practicing Catholic
- A member of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish
- Experience in dealing with younger children either in their own family or through baby sitting.
- Evidence of having provided leadership in other areas such as school or other community organizations
Personal Traits and Qualities
- Friendliness and a willingness to work with younger children
- A demonstrated degree of maturity and responsibility
- An ability to be flexible
- A willingness to take direction
Orientation and Training
- Previous experience working with younger children
- Orientation and training will be provide by the Adult Coordinator for each of the tasks the assistant is required to do
- The primary participant group in the Children's Liturgy Program is the children, ages 4 to 11, of the parish, who chose to participate in the program.
Support, Supervision and Evaluation
- The parents of the children participating in the program will provide support for the assistants along with the Adult Coordinator.
- The assistants are accountable to the Adult Coordinator
Length of Ministry Appointment
- One year with the potential for renewal
Benefits and Working Conditions
- The Student Assistants will accrue community service points (one hour per Sunday allowed) to help them complete their SSGD and SSHGD diplomas.
- The Student Assistants will also gain experience dealing with children and working collaboratively with adults
- Deepen their own sense of faith and ability to share their faith
- Feel a sense of involvement and ownership of their parish community
- Develop a sense of well-being in giving to others
- Because this program involve ministry to children it is by its very nature assessed as a high risk ministry.
- Completion of the Volunteer Information Form for parishioners under the age of 18 is required along with three references
- The Coordinator must also complete the Ministry Covenant Form
Parish Office at (416) 489-1540, Ext 221 or Click Here.